During my undergraduate, I was fortunate to work under the guidance of wonderful mentors. I worked with Prof. Leena Vachhani on my Undergraduate Thesis and Prof. Prasanna Gandhi on another research project related to modeling ultra-flexible inverted pendulum
At the institute, I was the founding member of a fully-funded technical team building a quadruped robot and motivated to solve the international urban search and rescue challenge RoboCup Rescue League
This website is a quick outlet for my thoughts and life updates
- Task and motion planning during robot exploration – Two types of problems:
- Non-exploratory, well-defined task (like filling a cup from a tap after fetching it from a shelf across the kitchen)
- Exploratory, abstract tasks (like searching for lost keys inside a house)
In the latter problem, the mobile robot may have to open a drawer, search underneath a heap of clothes, twist the doorknob to search another room, etc. The robot does not just passively understand the environment but “actively” interacts with it to learn more. The following questions on both above problems fascinate me:
- How can decision-making algorithms be designed to solve such task planning problems?
- How to sync motion between the manipulator and the robot base?
- How should the robot deal with uncertainty?
- What if there’s a dynamic object?
- Multi-modality during Legged locomotion – Some questions that bother me:
- What gait patterns could be more energy efficient than their wheeled counterparts? Current research
- How does the control generalize over complex foothold constraints, like steep stairs, slippery terrain, sharp rocks, rubble?
- Can we design perception/sensing algorithms to infer foothold constraints from the world in real-time?
- When a biped has lost balance and is about to fall, can it reflexively extend its arms to brace for impact or reflexively grip a rigid object to prevent the fall?
- Optimization – Both theoretically and as application to the above problems
- Trajectory and gait optimization
- Pose graph optimization
- Policy optimization